We look to Bollywood for inspiration so you can put your best foot forward this Karva Chauth.
Karva Chauth, a day for married couples and those in love, has certainly found its way into Bollywood. The festival when women pray and observe fast for the long life of the partner or spouse, and get decked up in their best fineries, is celebrated as a grand one in the northern parts of India.
The festival is portrayed in distinctive ways in Bollywood where every festival or event is celebrated in a majestic way. Look closely and you you’ll find many movies where Karva Chauth is portrayed as a glamorous lovey-dovey event with romantic settings, extravagant celebrations and soulful songs.
For all of you looking for style inspiration, we present some iconic Karva Chauth moments and looks from our favourite Bollywood movies.
- The iconic Karva Chauth scene between Raj and Simran in Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge remains our all-time favourite. The cutest scene in the movie saw Kajol in a vibrant coral ethnic outfit with heavy gold jewellery, minimal makeup and a low bun. For the ones who love everything a li’l extra!
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan looks mesmerising and gorgeous in an entire song (Chand chupa badal mein) dedicated to this day in the movie Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. Her icy blue lehenga certainly became iconic as did her dreamy makeup, flowing tresses and pearl jewellery. If you love simple-yet-gorgeous, this is a must-try look!
- Emraan Hashmi and Shamita Shetty sizzle onscreen as a couple in the movie Zeher. The song for Karva Chauth, Agar tum mil jao, is the most memorable and romantic one. The sequence has Shamita observing a fast for Emraan. Her makeup is kept minimal with just a hint of blush and light mauve lip hue with kohl-smudged eyes.
- The cute love story between Amrita Rao and Shahid Kapoor in Ishq Vishq had a fresh and young spin on Karva Chauth. The scene where she professes her love for him while breaking her fast will make any die-hard romantic’s heart beat faster. Curly hair with a no-fuss makeup look, this is a look that requires minimum time and effort to pull off.
- An emotional roller-coaster of a movie, Baghban saw the iconic couple Amitabh Bachchan and Hema Malini in a touching scene where they celebrate Karva Chauth over the phone. Not the run-of-the-mill way of celebrating the day, the movie had its own twist on Karva Chauth and had Hema Malini looking resplendent and ethereal in the tear-jerking scene.